As a use-test of the Matrix-6G VST3 plugin, I created this cover of “Vitamin C” by Edgar Froese, from the soundtrack to “Kamikaze 1989” (1982). It uses only sounds generated by the Matrix-6R rack-mount analog synthesizer module plus various effects boxes and plugins (compression, reverb, delay, phasing). In this video, I scroll through the Reaper project to reveal the various audio and MIDI tracks that were used to create the song, and also display the Matrix-6G patch settings used to create each voice.
First release of Matrix-6G VST3!
Check out the Matrix-6G page to download the plugin and get more information!
Matrix-6G Progress Report 5
I have just completed coding for the MASTER options window, where you can edit MIDI, vibrato, and miscellaneous settings. I also included a Patch Map editor window where you can customize the selection of patches via MIDI program change messages. There are still a couple of features to implement (undo/redo and saving/restoring), but completion of this plugin is in sight!
Matrix-6G Progress Report 4
I have just completed coding the SPLITS editor window. A “split” lets you define two keyboard zones with distinct patch voices assigned to them, allowing you to play two different patches with a single keyboard controller. It is also possible to overlap the two zones, creating even more sound possibilities.
Matrix-6G Progress Update 3
I have completed coding for the PATCHES window, which holds eleven banks of “factory” sound presets, plus two banks where the user can store custom sounds. Each bank holds 100 patches. I also added a PULL button to the main window, which allows the user to quickly import patch settings from one of the hardware’s storage slots and apply them to the GUI.
Matrix-6G Progress Update 2
I have added controls for editing the patch name and the Matrix Mod settings. These parameters cannot be edited individually via Quick Patch Editing, and can only be updated on the hardware by sending a data dump of the entire patch (this is also the case for negative values for patch parameters). To facilitate this, I added a PUSH button for sending the data dump and a slider for selecting the target storage slot on the hardware to the main window. I also added renderers for visualizing the envelopes and the tracking generator. Finally, I added code that causes the QUICK EDIT button to flash a few times when the plugin is opened, as a reminder to activate Quick Patch Editing on the hardware before making changes.
Matrix-6G Progress Update
I’ve gotten all the controls for editing the Matrix-6R’s voice parameters coded and operational. I also discovered a problem with the control labels in the GUI: I realized that the fonts I’m using were not encapsulated in the plugin – the labels would be completely messed up when the plugin was opened on a computer which doesn’t have those fonts installed. I hadn’t noticed this with the MophoGUI because it uses Arial, which is a pretty common font. Anyway, I figured out how to embed the font data in the plugin and now all the type will render correctly on any computer. Huzzah!
Next Up: Matrix-6G VST3
My next project is a VST3 plugin MIDI controller for Oberheim’s Matrix-6R synthesizer module. It should also be capable of editing sounds on the Matrix-1000 as well. Here’s a mock-up of the main editor window, created in Illustrator. Stay tuned for further updates!